Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Empty Space

I figured you'd be reading enough Metropolis posts tonight and this week so I took the initiative to write about something else. You're welcome.
I want to talk about something that was bothering me in "The Empty Space". In the first chapter "Dead Theatre" or something to that affect, Robert talks about how he's frustrated that audiences aren't getting the true meaning, purpose, of the artist's creation. As the consumer, I don't care about what THEIR purpose is. I care about what I take from it. What it means to me. And if and when I produce pieces I want people to take what they want from them, even if it's the complete opposite of my purpose. I'd just be happy that someone was affected by what I created in some way. I do see where he's coming from, some pieces could be very personal and the artist would want the consumer to know exactly how he felt, what it means, why he did it, who, what where, when, etc. But no. I care more about my opinion.
Metropolis was OK.

5 comments:

  1. Well, this is an age old argument in art, in all creative work. Because at some level it is about the transmission of intention and meaning, but that is an incredibly hard thing to control or even measure. I tend to think as you think, that work is created such that others make meaning with it and while I make a piece with specific meanings in mind, I don't tell people what they are. Art can become check off the box, you know? "Oh, he meant this, I see it! I understand it!" I think that is garbage.

    Speaking of meaning. I might be wrong, but there is a tone in your writing on blogs that... I don't think you mean it this way, but the way I read it, is there is a tone of disrespect in what you write. I don't think you aim it at me, but I think... as an example, you do not particularly care if you get the name of the chapter of the book right, the flip "You're welcome." It seems to me that if we were speaking face to face you wouldn't talk that way. As I reflect on this more deeply... I think what is bothering me is that you are actually devaluing your own ideas by the way you express them. Does that make any sense? I think your ideas are good, and worth a conversation. You're a smart person, and you're in STAC because of that brain. so I think, to be glib while expressing those ideas does them no service. I suppose maybe it is your style, to be a touch acerbic, a touch sarcastic, cool and distant, but still, I think you'd be better off honoring what you are learning, honoring what you are thinking, honoring your relationships to both people and subject matter. Do you get the gist of what I am writing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely do not mean to disrespect you in any way. And to be honest this is how I speak conversationally with friends and when I write more casually I like to speak more casually. I completely understand where you're coming from and I'll hold back and think more before I write because I do appreciate what I'm learning and that I'm in STAC, thank you for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice mature reply! You do yourself and my very high opinion of you credit. It hink try to find a balance between something conversational in your writing and something a tad more formal. That would serve you very well, especially in college. Do you read the New Yorker magazine at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. Well, you not only should, you NEED to.

    ReplyDelete