Sunday, November 14, 2010

Maturity

This week is a huge blur. Too many last minute quarter assignments and tests on my teachers part. So i'd like to talk about something I've been thinking about lately: maturity.
I've been wondering what exactly makes one mature. I have a few friends that I think would like to think they are super mature and smart but really they're just pretentious, overdramatic, jerks who lack certain people skills that make them seem less human.
Did I say they were my friends?
I can't stand how they think they're so mature just because they're maybe more selfaware than the average 16 year old. I am guilty of sometimes feeling superior to some of the more "dicky" kids in the school but at the same time I'm happy they're dicks! Usually because it makes me feel better about myself. But also because I'm happy for them. Because although there might be a chance that they don't grow out of it when they're older they're just plain stupid for the rest of their lives, but there's also a chance that they'll have really good memories that sum up the times. I don't want to say I'm jealous of that mostly because I hate pitying anyone especially myself.
I think I just went somewhat off of what I was saying earlier in the blog post.
What's more mature? Being self-aware, using big words, and being an articulate speaker? Or being oneself even if that means you're an obnoxious tool?

2 comments:

  1. What if being oneself means being a pretentious, over dramatic jerk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then that's who you are I suppose but the word pretentious means trying to be something that you're not, trying to be superior, but if that's really who you are that's really who you I just find it hard to believe that, that's really being oneself.

    ReplyDelete