Tuesday, March 22, 2011

workshop numero uno

I was a little apprehensive when I found out that I was going to be writing/learning about mystery novels. At first I just kind of put mystery/crime/thriller novels into one category (books with detectives and murder). Half way through the lesson I reailzed technically every fiction book falls into "crime". Every book that has some sort plot twist or death or mystery is considered such. I mostly read non-ficton but I'm excited and open to new forms of literature.
My favorite crime book is definetly "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis. And I am for sure taking concepts from that book and using them in my chapter assignment.
I think this'll be good for me to learn. I haven't really written much in awhile so I'm hoping that I'll this'll get me back on track.
I think the most challenging aspect of the assignment is that we're just writing a first chapter to a novel. I feel the need to sum everything up into a short story. I want the reader to know the whole story without reading the whole story but that's not usually what a first chapter of a book entails. We'll see.
This should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment