Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Independent Project

When I first learned that I would be able to do an independent project on what ever I wanted, the first thing that came to mind was, paint. Everyone loves to paint. Even people who are bad at painting love to paint. Now, I've always lacked technical skills when it came to anything artistic (paint, drawing, etc.), which is why I was so excited to finally get the opportunity to try and teach myself.

I chose Wayne Thiebaud as an inspiration because his work was the first to pop into my head when I thought of painting. I did a report on him in the 9th grade for Studio Art and I kind of just adore his paintings. I love his use of colors, the thickness of each piece. I especially love what he paints. His work is inspired by advertising, diners and are very 50'-60's, mostly because that was his prime. I appreciate how his work is always light and upbeat, because life isn't always light and upbeat. Especially when you're an artist~.


I think the reason why I've always been so attracted to Thiebaud's work is because it reminds me a lot of my family, in a way. My parents grew up in the '50s and they always talk about the culture of it, with the clothes, food, music, etc. I also remember my parents taking me to the Hamptons where there would always be a lot of Thiebaud-esc paintings around. Looking at his pictures bring me back to those little moments and it's nice. This all especially makes sense after taking the enneagram test. Mine was tied between 5w6 and 6w5. 5's are apparently prone to clinging to comfort and security, which is probably why I like Thiebaud's work. But anyway. I'm excited to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment